What a cute idea to use candy canes to hang these treats. They look yummy gathered on a plate or hanging off a mug of hot chocolate. This recipe is for Rice Krispie Treats that are rolled into snowballs. You could also use this idea of the candy canes to pop into some store bought or homemade cake balls.
Peppermint Rice Krispies Treats Snowballs
- ¼ Cup Butter
- 1 10 Oz. Package Marshmallows
- ⅓ Cup Crushed Candy Canes
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies® Cereal
- 2 14 Oz. Bags White Candy Melts
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add in the marshmallows and allow them to melt completely.
- Add in the crushed candy canes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Rice Krispies®.
- If making balls, pull out heaping tablespoons from the pan and roll into balls. Add a candy can into the center of each ball.
- If making cut out shapes, press the Rice Krispies® mixture into a pan prepared with cooking spray.
- Allow to cool for about five to ten minutes and then cut out your favorite shapes.
- Add a candy cane into the top end of the treat.
- Place your finished treats into the fridge for about 15 minutes to cool down.
- Melt the candy melts according to package directions and add in the vegetable oil to thin the mixture.
- Dip your cooled treats into the chocolate, sprinkle or decorate, and set aside to cool and harden completely.
- Note: For a quicker version, simply substitute one 12 oz. bag of white chocolate chips for the melts and oil. Add the chips in with the marshmallows and heat until completely melted. Proceed with adding the candy canes and Rice Krispies®. You can then roll your balls and add sprinkles to the still warm treat.